Sunday 19 June 2011

Walls

The exterior walls are up! This has been an exciting week, despite the rain that has delayed things. I was gone all day Thursday with Larissa's class on their field trip and when we got back most of the exterior walls were up and the rest were raised on Friday. This stage has now made it feel real. I'm not sure why it's taken so long but now that I can see the exact shape and get a good sense of space it now feels real. A few interior walls are up too so we get a good sense of how big (or small) certain rooms feel. I am amazed as to how many times we've gone through the "this feels huge" or "this feels way too small" stages. Now it's starting to feel "just right". I know in my head that it's a good-sized house and I don't think we'll regret too many decisions we've made but seeing the rooms laid out in with a chalk line sure made everything feel small. Now that a few interior walls are up and the bases of all the walls are in place it gives a much better sense of space. Okay, no more writing, I'll post the pics!!

Front view. It looks like the back wall isn't up but it is, it will become obvious why in a few pictures.


Eastside view. The closest jut-out is the dining room.


Great room. This is the back wall, the big hole is for the picture window. The bottom sill (footer? I don't know the correct term for this) still needs to be added, it will be about a foot off the floor. The small hole is where the garden doors are going.


This is the interior view of the dining room, taken before all the walls were up.


The start of the interior walls. This is the master bedroom/ensuite/walk-in closet.


As long as it doesn't rain tomorrow Ron thinks the interior walls could be finished. The truss package is also supposed to be delivered tomorrow so I guess that's the next project. Our forecast is for rain the next couple of days, surprise, surprise, but hopefully the forecast of sunshine for the end of the week holds true and the house can be enclosed so the rain won't be as big a factor anymore. Am I wishful thinking? Probably!!

No comments:

Post a Comment