Sunday 21 August 2011

Birthday Boy & Sunday Fun

Friday was Nathan's birthday. It's hard to believe that nine years ago we had this babe that we didn't know what to do with once we left the comfort of having 24 hour care in the hospital. We still don't know what to do some days but nine is definitely easier than baby!! For those who may not know, Nathan was born with a cleft lip and palate so we've had some challenges along the way but he's happy and healthy and a great kid. He's one of those boys who loves to farm, loves going to school, bugs his sisters (a little too much at times), thinks of others, has a great sense of humour and at least once a day thinks of a practical joke he can pull. He doesn't pull them but he sure laughs while he's thinking of it! This year he requested a John Deere emblem cake. I am not an artist nor am I very creative but with some ideas from my cousin and a mini tutorial on youtube I attempted the cake. It's not too shabby for a first-time frozen buttercream transfer but I now know what I would change because I'm sure there will be a next time!


Isn't he handsome? Okay, so I'm a bit biased!


Nathan didn't get to spend any time in the field on his birthday, which is rare for an August birthday, but he did get his fill (almost) yesterday! He rode in the combine for 6 hours with his grandpa, had supper in the field and ran the auger tractor for Ron who had been trucking.

We've had a pretty busy week and not much time spent together as a family so this evening we decided to head to the lake, which is four miles from our house. Normally at this time of year the lake is very green with algae that you can't see your toes at the shoreline but with all the flooding that happened this spring the water has been running at a good pace over the dam, which seems to be keeping the water clearer this year. Here are a few pictures I took this evening.

The kids racing into the water!


Larissa needed to try standing on her "surfboard"



In this picture you can see how high the water had been this spring.


This week the kids and I are off to my parents' place to visit friends and to celebrate my nephew's and Nathan's birthdays. Ron's going to be busy with harvest so now is a good time to go, although Nathan would disagree!

No comments:

Post a Comment