Tuesday 4 October 2011

Living in Colour!

Well, one thing you can't say about our house is that it's in the modern, monochromatic scheme of things! The painting was finished last week and it looks fantastic! Our painter, Jeannie, kept commenting on how interesting our house was without paint and now it was even more interesting. Not "interesting" but truly, genuinely interesting. Someone had walked through our house last week and Jeannie asked him what he thought of the colour and he said that it wouldn't be something he would choose. She looked at him and said, "That's okay, you're not the one living here!" She herself was trying to figure out where she could paint some of the colours in her own house. Ron's still trying to get used to some of the colours so I keep telling him that once cabinets are on and furniture is in it won't be nearly as overwhelming as looking at just the walls with nothing but colour on them. I'm making it sound like it's maybe something we shouldn't have done but that's not how I feel at all, I love it! Here are the pictures!

This is the view from the kitchen, into the great room and the hallway in the background. I think from anywhere in the house you can see at least 3 colours at one time. I'm not sure how well the colours show on the screen but you are seeing yellow, green and brown. Sorry, I don't know the "colour names" for each one! I can hardly wait to replace that scaffolding with furniture.


This is the dining area. The bay window is a darker colour from the rest of the walls, it's not an optical illusion! The kitchen island is a barn board painted the same colour as the bay window area.


This is our master bedroom. Unfortunately natural north lighting doesn't make for great pictures so everything looks a little off. Three of the walls are a dark grey colour and yes, that is orange you see on the wall! 


I don't remember if I've posted a picture of the girls room all painted so I'll post one. Again, the natural light and my camera do not work together very well.


The basement is also coming along quite nicely. We decided to put up all the walls down there and finish the bathroom. We won't mud/tape/paint except for the bathroom and flooring will not go down right away either. We have scraps of carpet that have been kindly donated for the time being and with the floor being heated it shouldn't be too uncomfortable down there. Here's a look at one side of the basement. The laundry/storage room is on the left, the main area is where Nathan and his friends can shoot the hockey puck around and wrestle till they cry! The tv will be well protected on the other side of the stairs where there is a wall blocking the action!


Now is the start of the finishing! The floors are going in this week, the carpet and vinyl are in and the planking is well on it's way. The trim, doors, beams, steps from the garage, lighting, finishing electrical, furnace, hrv, central vac, and plumbing fixtures (I'm sure I've forgotten something) are all going in in the next two and a half weeks. The cabinets come next week! The end is in sight! We are hoping to move in a couple of weeks, it's so hard to believe it's here already. I'm in packing panic mode but I don't really have much to pack right now. I've already packed up the things that we don't use often or can do without for a few weeks (games, photo albums, etc) so I'm at a standstill for right now but I have panicky moments that I should be doing more. I'm also trying to paint a dresser for the girls' room but I'm finding it hard to make time for that. It really won't take long but little things are seeming to add up these days! Anyone want to come help me clean.... ;)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like our husbands have the same confidence in our colour choosing abilities! Murray was not at all excited about my choices but admitted after the flooring, trim, cabinets, etc. were in that it "wasn't that bad".... :) Thanks for the compliment, hey?

    ReplyDelete